Sunday, March 7, 2010

Why Use CAD (computer aided design) When Drawing Is Faster?


Usually every class has at least one person that is there to learn how to draw beautiful plans using CAD--with a nagging thought in the back of their head.  "This is great, but I think I'm faster drawing by hand."  I can relate.  I've been using RainCAD's CAD programs over 15 years, but there is a learning curve.

Do you enjoy snow skiing? Did you enjoy it the first day you tried? Did you ever say, "Why am I doing this?  It's cold, I'm tired and besides all that I'm already at the bottom of this dumb mountain. Why do I want to get on this scary tram just to come back down again?  I've thought about it now, and it's illogical!  Where's the lodge?"  If you never got over it, you missed out on a lot of enjoyment.

When you know what you're doing and you have practiced enough to execute your craft with speed, accuracy, taste and ease, well, it's a joy.  Until then, though, it's work.  As you know, we humans are not known for wanting to think, work or change.   CAD takes all three. 

But, if you're willing to pour yourself into it and stay with it long enough to master it, new vistas suddenly appear.  Keep in mind we're talking hours, not days, weeks or months.  

You learn that measuring a property is different for CAD than hand.  It's easier and faster.  There are simple ways to check yourself so you don't have to go back out to the site and re-measure something.  Once you draw the property, you realize that you can now consider more than one plan without having to redraw (we call redrawing sawing sawdust).  

The bottom line is I can't tell you CAD will be faster for you.  It is a lot faster for me and I sincerely believe it will be for you.  It does depend on you, though.  If you will invest yourself and commit to use CAD on several plans so you can internalize what you know, you'll be able to draw faster.  

That's not even the best part.  More later . . . 

To find out more about our CAD Class click here.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Waco, Texas, United States
Hello. I'm Doug Saylor, ceuWOW's instructor and voice. Thanks for dropping by.